Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Snow Day

There are so many things I could be doing. Working, cleaning, laundry, baking, mending. I could be learning all about cascading style sheets. I could do my taxes and review my retirement plan. I could get on the treadmill for an extra mile or two.

But how often do we get a snow day in Vermont? Oh, we get days when it snows, even days when it snows a lot. But not days like this.

There is really a lot of snow out there. Television weatherpeople say it is around twenty-three inches. I say it is one German Shepherd puppy deep, about shoulder height.

The surprise on her face as she attempts to bound through the drifts is my treat for the day. She dives, coming up completely white, only her eyes dark and liquid with excitement. She still seeks out the usual spot to pee, but squatting completely swathed in powder is a new experience in her short life.

We try a short walk around the back yard, but the snow is thigh deep for me, so we don’t get far. I throw huge armfuls of snow at her, and she leaps and tries to bite it, then bounds in joyful, wide circles.

A day like this is a gift. It’s a day to watch as the snow covers the swing, the wheelbarrow, and the woodpile. It’s a day to call friends and hear stories of how it really is out there on the roads. It is a day to sit and knit, to play with puppies, to heat up soup from the freezer for lunch, to wave at the snow plow guy, and to do as little as possible. How often do we get a snow day?

Tomorrow we will start working our way back to daily routine. But today is a snow day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen,

(Sorry - please don't be mad at me for butting-in on your blog!) I did a random search to find someone...anyone...in your state. Would you please consider humoring this stranger and visiting a friend's blog to represent Vermont? A quick comment with "Hi, from Vermont" would really make her day! You can leave it anonymously if you'd like, and I promise this is not some weird spoof. (The lady's husband challenged her to collect comments from all 50 states within the next week or so - Vermont is one of the last few she needs to win $50 from him.) Here's her blog: http://www.oinkledoinkle.blogspot.com/
Thanks, Karen! :o)